KAFUCO IN GREEN ENERGY PROJECT WITH VIHIGA, UK FIRM Featured

12 November 2021, 11:42 am Written by 
Published in Latest News
Read 272 times

Kaimosi Friends University College is in talks with the County Government of Vihiga over plans to establish a green energy plant at the institution.

The County Government is the intermediary for Blackburn, UK-based Enegy Limited which is sinking about Ksh.10 billion into a waste-to-energy plant in collaboration with KAFUCO.

The County Executive Committee Member for Trade, Industrialization and Entrepreneurship Mr Geoffrey Vukaya said the plant will burn varied waste into 16 products for the local and regional market, helping mitigate against climate change and providing affordable alternative fuel to homes and industries.

The firm is looking for at least 70 acres of land to operate the plant for between 10 to 15 years, employing 300 people directly and over 1500 casuals at peak operation, said Mr. Vukaya.

The firm will retain 30 per cent of the profit and the remaining 70 per cent shared between KAFUCO and the county as agreed in memoranda of agreement to be pursued immediately.

The Principal Prof. Ogodo, M.J. Nandi welcomed the project, saying it presented the opportunity for the university to pursue a niche in environmental conservation and play a crucial role in climate change debate.

“As the only university in a tropical forest we have a lot of interest in areas of forestry, conservation and climate change. This is an opportunity for us to explore these interests and mount programmes,” he said.

In the meeting were Deputy Principal Finance and Development Prof. Maurice Amadalo, Director International and Academic Linkages Dr Caroline Mulinya, Directior Research, Innovation and Outreach Dr Remmy Shiundu,  Senior Research Fellow Dr John Ayisi, Economics Lecturer Geoffrey Abung’ana and KAFUCO’s Bio-gel Enterprise lead Boniface Jiveri.

Rate this item
(1 Vote)